This material will be useful primarily for owners of small online stores, created not only on Shopify, but also on other platforms and systems that do not have an SEO specialist, and for whom the cost of outsourcing the project is too high.
Content is your friend and helper. Useful, interesting and correct content attracts users to the site, helps to keep the audience and pushes them to buy your goods.
You should remember that texts and images allow search engines to determine the degree of relevance of the query and the usefulness of the resource.
The text should be unique and posted online for the first time for a particular page. Non-uniqueness of the text leads to a downgrade of the site in the search engines.
Do not forget to add ALT-text to images, as it is their short description for search engines. Alt-texts should correspond to the context of the whole site and each page, so you should focus on the main topic. You should also take into account that the length of the ALT text should not be less than 3–4 words and longer than 250 characters.
Meta Title is one of the most important tags in search engine optimization. Its content affects significantly the relevance of the page to the search query. In case of incorrect or default (some systems automatically translate the title of the page in the meta title) filling in the meta title tag, the site may occupy lower positions in the search results.
The basic rules for composing meta title:
• The optimal size for meta title is 60–70 characters with spaces (7–8 words)
• Always start the meta title with the basic query in the correct form, and do not put the name of your store first, because it is most likely that it will not be a keyword in the query, but it will take away the useful weight and length.
• Try to use the most important words in the first 60 characters and put them in descending order of importance;
• Remember that every word takes away a portion of the weight of significance. The farther the word is from the beginning of the meta title, the lower its weight and significance;
• Try to avoid punctuation marks;
- Each meta title must be unique. If you face difficulties with unicity, add the least important words at the end.
This meta tag is responsible for displaying the summary of the page in the search results snippet. Properly written description increases the likelihood of a user’s transition to your site. Imagine that you are helping a user and a search engine to explain the content of a page in a few words.
The platforms often duplicate the product description in the meta description, which is not entirely correct, since what will be displayed in the snippet is a part of the full product description and not a short description.
Recommendations for compiling the meta description:
• Meta title and meta description should differ from each other;
• The optimal length of the meta description is 170–290 characters;
• Meta description should contain keywords related to its page, but avoid repeating them;
• Locate high-frequency key requests at the beginning, thus they will have more weight;
• Meta description must be unique for each page;
- Meta description should be in the form of a selling ad, which will convey the meaning of the page to the user and highlight the advantages of your product and store.
Tag H1 is used to denote an important text for search engines and is the title of the page. Imagine that your site is a newspaper, and H1 is its headline.
It is important to understand that the H1 tag is different from the Meta Title. Meta Title plays the role of the main title for the HTML-document and is also an alternative to the page title. So, if the meta title was not specified, the search engine will consider H1 tag as the main one and indicate it in the search results.
Recommendations for the tag H1:
• Tag length shouldn’t be more than 50 characters
• Only one H1 tag per site page
• The uniqueness of the tag for each page of the site
• It should not duplicate meta title
• It must match page content
• It is advisable to avoid punctuation marks in the H1 tag.
By following these rules, you will significantly improve the position of your online store in search results, which will affect your profits.